[TowerTalk] Shunt Feed Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Shunt Feed Tower
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 11:12:11 -0500
At 09:12 AM 10/8/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Has anybody had experience shunt feeding a 60' tower for two bands
>(160 and 80) at the same time. I'd like to use the tower for both
>bands since its already 15' off the ground on my office building.
>
>Is it possible to run to seperate gamma wires, one for each band??
>
>I don't plan on transmitting on both bands at the same time.  I just
>want to take advantage of a single tower for both bands.
>
>--
>73,
>Richard Thorne - WB5M
>Amarillo, TX

What I have done before (this idea is not new by any means) is to use a
relay switching scheme to switch in and out the appropriate capacitors on
the gamma match.  On my tower, the length of the gamma match stays constant
and I just use a little more C or L depending on what is needed.  A simple
relay would do the trick and on 160 or 80 it is not critical (IMHO).  Right
now, the tower is right out the door of the shack so I use mechanical means
of switching between the two...I physically change two clip leads.

Just a thought.  Now I will go back to my hide-hole.

Lee
k0wa@southwind.net