[TowerTalk] The Zepp, The Ladder Line, The Experience

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] The Zepp, The Ladder Line, The Experience
From: k7sv@juno.com (Larry G Schimelpfenig)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 18:50:33 EDT
SNIP SNIP

>One of the cool things about this antenna is that if installed
>correctly,
>one can load just one side of the antenna as a long wire on 80 and 160
>meters.  In fact, with a little playing around with the numbers, you
>can add
>enough ladder line to make a total of 130 feet from the feed point.
>Radiates real well on 160 providing you have a good ground or ground
>system
>connected to the tuner.

I have about seventy feet of ladder line going almost straight up to my
40 meter
EDZ. I have a pair of aligator on the shack end of it, and for 160 simply
move the
clips from the 80-10 mtr tuner to an L-Network for 160. Clip both
conductors to the hot end of the L and feed it against two elevated
quarter wave radials. The sucker works great. 110 countries with 100
watts. I'm not sure that I can explain it, but I tried the same thing
with an 80 meter dipole in place of the 40 mtr EDZ, using the same length
feeders in the same location, but wasn't as good as the zepp.

Before I got the tower up, I found that a pair of 40 meter EDZs at right
angles to each other gave me pretty good coverage160 through 10 meters.
Think I ended up 4th or 5th USA low power CQWWCW with them.

73 de Larry K7SV in VA