[TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] Current Baluns for 4SQ verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] Current Baluns for 4SQ verticals
From: geoiii@bga.com (george fremin iii)
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 10:22:51 -0500 (CDT)
>I have been using an 80M wire 4 square array for about a year. It was
>originally constructed using
>commercial center insulators with an SO239 connector. I would like to add a
>current balun at the
>feedpoint of each vertical as recommended by ON4UN. John's article mentions a
>current balun kit
>from The Wireman. This method would replace my center insulators completely.
>Radio Works has
>a current balun, the 4KV-LI (now replaced by the T-4 I believe) which would be
>an easier install, more
>or less a "plug & play". Which of these is the better option or is there a
>better approach yet?

On all of my HF antennas at the W5KFT-Ranch station I am using
Amidon FB-43-1020 beads at the feed points.  These are round and
about 1.5 inches long.  They are big enough that they slide over
the outside of RG-213.  In this way I dont have to mess with
any extra connections between the choke and the feedpoint.

I just put them right at the feed point on the pigtail that
feeds the antenna.

--

George Fremin III
Austin, Texas C.K.U.     "It is hard to be in one place at the same time."