[TowerTalk] Re: 4 square or yagi ??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: 4 square or yagi ??
From: JEH@on.mobile.telia.se (Jan-Erik Holm)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 07:45:58 GMT+1
>>On Mon, 20 Oct 1997, Steve Narducci wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone really done some comparisons from using a 4 square system to a
>> shortened
>> 2 element yagi up about 100 ft ?
>> I have a 4 square and have been thinking about mounting 2 element up in the
>> air.
>> I do admit, the 4 square is much easier to work on being on ground.
>> Thanks.....Steve
>

>Well I can tell you how it works against a KLM 2 element at 140'.  I got
>my butt kicked!  NQ4I just put up a 2 ele at 140' and we compared signals
>last Friday night.  Generally he was 10-15 db better than me.  I think
>conditions last Friday night were down and I hope that Rick and I can do
>more tests in the future.  I will pass on my results here.
>
>Also, K3LR just put up a 3el M2 (forget the height) fixed to Europe.  If
>memory serves, Tim said it was 1 s-unit better than the 4-square to
>Europe both on RX and TX.  Maybe Tim will give more details.
>
>73
>
>Bill

Something doesnt seem right here. I figure that a 4 SQ and a 2 LY should
have about the same gain and at 140 ft they should have about the same
wave angle. So what would make up for the huge difference ? Bad radial
system ? Are these 4 SQ arrays only using one radial ?  I take it for granted
that Bill and Rick was using about the same power.

73 Jim SM2EKM