TopBand: Re: [TowerTalk] Phased Staggered Beverages

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: [TowerTalk] Phased Staggered Beverages
From: w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 10:50:00 +0000
> From:          Bill Fisher - W4AN <w4an@contesting.com>

> the transcripts yet.  Has anyone else used this type of system or any
> other comments on phased beverages?

Hi Bill,

That's a nice way to get additional F/B ratio. It is simple to use
echelon arrangements with antennas that have low mutual coupling
(coupling from antenna to antenna). It would work with loops, very
short verticals, Beverages, Ewes, or whatever.  Of course if the
antenna is pysically short, the antennas do not need to be in
echelon. They can be in line. That is what I do with loop antennas,
and what I have done with small voltage probe antennas, and with
Beverages. (I did use larger broadside stagger, however, to narrow
the front lobe beamwidth and remove high angle response on the
Beverages).

If you use this system, you might consider using cross-fire
phasing. A cross-fire system will remain frequency independent (delay
line ~ equals the in-line spacing distance), unlike traditional feed
systems (delay line ~ 180 degrees minus S in degrees).

I got this via topband...since I'm not on the tower talk reflector.

73, Tom W8JI