[TowerTalk] Rohn 25 - safety

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 - safety
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 09:40:59 -0700 (PDT)
>I installed 40 feet of Rohn 25 today. Third and fourth
>section (on top) don't sit properly on the lower sections.
>Third section needs to come 1cm down to allow both bolts to
>go in. First set of guy wires is installed on this section,
>so it sits firmly, but without bolts. Fourth section moved
>only to the upper hole of lower section, and is temporarily
>secured by bolts but has to go about 5cm down to get second
>set of bolts in (the lower hole of the fourth/top section is
>aligned with a upper hole of the third section). There will
>be another piece of Rohn 25 2,20 m long with a bearings and
>mast on top and second set of guy wires. Plan to put
>temporary guy wires on the top of the fourth section, before
>last piece goes up. Since last piece is heavier (mast and
>bearings) it might be lifted with a crane.
>
>Any hints how to move sections down? Jumping moved it, but
>not as much as expected.  Is it safe enough to continue with
>last section??
>Friend of mine, who was doing rigging, thinks that it's safe
>enough.
>If it goes up well, will test it as P3A next weekend. If
>not, QRX till CW.
>Ivo, 5B4ADA/9A3A

Ivo:

I find it hard to believe that you have genuine Rohn tower there.  I have
never seen any Rohn tower that was not damaged where the holes would not
line up much better than you describe.

Several companies made tower that looks like Rohn 25 but is not of the same
quality.  None of the tower I have seen, including Rohn, is marked with the
manufacturer's name so I do not know how you can tell for sure.  If you
bought it new from Rohn, I guess you can be sure what you have.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com