[TowerTalk] Yagi Rain Static Observation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yagi Rain Static Observation
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher - W4AN)
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 09:54:02 -0500 (EST)
This weekend I had ample oportunity to make observations about rain
static.  In the past I have noted that the highest antenna on a tower is
the one plagued by rain static.  This is the case at my station as well
with one exception:

I have a 20M 5 element yagi on a 48' boom on the NE side of the hill.
The antenna is at 60' and is at or below tree tops except to the north
and northeast.  I observed litte or no rain static on this antenna all
weekend.  Very weird.

On a slightly different subject...  I had several instances of very close
lightning strikes this weekend.  It was interesting to watch the radios
after the strikes.  The S-meter would deflect to full scale and slowly
fall back to the left as the charge disapated.