[TowerTalk] TOWER FOOTING -Reply

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TOWER FOOTING -Reply
From: pbarkey@gw.bsu.edu (Patrick Barkey)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 16:38:24 -0500
AC6TK wrote:

        5)Insert anchor bolts thru holes in plywood and place appropriate
double-nut/washer combo on threaded end on "top" of template w/"hook"
end of bolt projecting below.
        6)Use this template as top of form to cover existing 4x4x6' hole. If
spec for SSV calls for larger dim. form., center on longer pieces of 2"x to
support and enlarge hole appropriately.
        7)Pour suitable concrete mix (don't forget the re-bar "cage"!) and
wait necessary curing time.

My comment:

I did precisely this for my self supporting tower base.  The problem is,
the act of pouring the concrete twisted and turned my anchor bolts in
ways that I could not perfectly correct.  Now that the concrete has
cured, the bolts are slightly off.  Big pain.

If I had it to do over again, I would pour first and then set the entire wood
template/anchor bolt assembly down into the wet concrete.  (How
exactly I would avoid the rebar cage I am not sure.  Perhaps by making
precise markings of where it was?).

   -- Pat
      N9RV