[TowerTalk] Right coax for my station?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Right coax for my station?
From: \"Dick Green\"."<dick.green@valley.net ("Dick Green".)
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 04:42:46 -0500
You might also consider Time Microwave LM400UF (Texas Towers and others have
it.) It's another semi-flexible foam-filled low-loss coax. Price is
comparable or better than 9913F.

I think the numbers speak for themselves on 2M and 6M. You want the
lowest-loss coax you can afford (some free CATV hardline would be even
better, but you'll need some baluns.) For the extra $35 or so that the 9913F
or equivalent will cost you over the RG/213, you're getting over 200 watts
more on 10M. At a conservative 6dB gain for the beam, that's the equivalent
of over 800 watts, which is about the cheapest extra power I can think of.
Go for it, and keep an eye out for some free hard line for that run, too. It
doesn't look like anything more than RG/213 is needed for 80M and 160M, so
you can save some money there. It's a toss-up for 40M, but you can probably
use RG/213 for that, too.

Consider yourself lucky. My run of LM400UF is about 260 feet to the base of
the tower. From there, I had to use RG/213 for the remaining 80 feet to the
top. The so-called ultra felxible low-loss stuff was too stiff for my
rotating tubular crankup. If anyone would like to compute the losses at 10M
for that combination, feel free -- it isn't pretty. Hopefully, next summer,
the long run gets replaced with hardline.

73, Dick, WC1M