[TowerTalk] Stripper for RG 213

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Stripper for RG 213
From: gehring@alaska.net (Steve Gehring / KL7DC)
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 20:26:48 -0800
Hi.  Other than using a dedicated sheath stripping tool,  a sharp knife
will work.  The trick is NOT to slice all the way through the sheath.  Once
scored with the knife all the way around, bend the cable with your hands at
several points around it's circumference, breaking the sheath on your way
around.  This way you won't nick the braid.

Or, you could replace all those pesky VHF (PL-259) connectors on your
equipment and cables with N-type sockets and plugs.  It's a better
connector anyway, both electrically and mechanically.  And, once you've got
the hang of it, it's easier to install.  The N-type connector does require
a knife, a small file, electrician's scissors, side cutters or a cable
cutter, and a small wire brush (used to comb out the braid) to do the job
right, though.  The bright side is that the soldered center pin only
requires a normal soldering pencil!

Good luck with the PL-259 series connectors!  Also, go back through several
years of hints and kinks in QST.  Many hams have come up with tricks to aid
in their installation and expressed them there.

73 de Steve, KL7DC