[TowerTalk] PolyPhaser

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] PolyPhaser
From: aa0cy@robertwanderer.gardnerville.nv.us (ROBERT WANDERER)
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 10:20:30 -0800
This is all well and good, but I suggest taking any info gotten this way with a
grain of salt. Poly has many good competitiors: Andrews, M/A-Com, Northern
Technologies and, as mentioned below,  H+S in
the RF world, Transtector, AC Data Systems and Northern Technologies in the
ac power world and others in the other areas where Poly provides products such
as dc power and telco/twisted pair/data.

These companies make good products. I honestly do believe Polys perform better,
and
I've been at third party testing labs as well as at our own lab and at the
customer's lab
where this was proven and documented.
Ask what the actual let-through energy and voltages are and ask to see the
plots from the surge
testing. Just like with antennas, with dBi vs dBd, element spacing, and HAAT
etc., you must
compare apples with apples. Ask for the surge waveform used and what actually
struck
the UUT (unit under test). A let-through voltage of +/-3V (and what waveform
and duration?) is
excellent, but was the surge current 3kA or 30kA?

Let me put it this way, some competitors (and this is a universal statement)
have
been known to be "creative" in their statements about competitors. Poly
employees
never knocked the competition, but merely stated the pros and
cons between them. If a customer had an application for which I believed a
competitor
had a more appropriate product, I would say so. This was a fairly rare
occurrence, but
did happen. Usually it was more along the lines of what the customer really
needed was
a UPS, but we did suggest protecting the UPS would be prudent.

73, Bob AA0CY