[TowerTalk] re: vert vs dipole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] re: vert vs dipole
From: CQK8DO@aol.com (CQ K8DO)
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 15:16:01 EST
When I moved into the new contest qth I put up a 2 el leaning vertical for 160
with two elevated (6 foot) 1/8 wave loaded radials... I also had an inverted
vee for 160 with the center at 150 feet and the ends at (roughly) 50 feet...
Comparison was made during  two contests..There was no comparison... The
verticals stayed... The vee came down...

I also note that most (all?) of the big gun stations on the reflectors use
vertical polarization for 160/80.... For long haul dx you need to have good
antenna response in the 12 to 18 deg wave angle... That is tough to get with
horizontal polarization on the two top bands...