[TowerTalk] Re: [Tower Talk] Noise that won't go away

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [Tower Talk] Noise that won't go away
From: jgoforth@esper.com (Jack Goforth)
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 14:40:02 -0400
Hi Doug, Jack K4IBP here....

At 10:01 AM 12/31/97 -0800, you wrote:

>I've been plauged with some pretty bad local noise for quite a while now.
>It sounds like power line or some other sort of mechanically generated
>noise that shows up out of the blue and stays on at a constant high level
>for many days at a time.  It doesnt just go away, but sort of "bleeds" off
>and slowly diminishes in strength over a few days until it completely
>disappears.  Sometimes it is quiet for weeks, and other times it doesnt
>go away for weeks. (SNIP)

I want to share that I had basically the same problem here at
my new QTH when I first moved in. Since I was unfamiliar with
operating from the new location, I assumed my noise was power
line noise and started to try to locate the source. By using a
battery AM radio I noticed that I could hear the noise get stronger
when I got near the electrical service entrance. I thought that
meant the problem was coming in via the power line into my home...
Not so.

To make a long story short, the problem was found to be in my
kitchen light ckt. My Kitchen lights have two switches that will
turn them on and off from either side of the room. I noticed when
the switches were in one condition, that is, switch no.1 up and
switch no.2 down, I had noise. If the switches were reversed,
no.1 down and no.2 up, the noise went away.

To this day I am at a loss to explain why this is... I had isolated
the problem to the kitchen by listening to the AM receiver and turning
off one by one the other breakers in the house electrical panel. I also
found a lesser noise being emitted by my fancy (new) door bell chimes...
noisy voltage step down txmr.

I don't know if this will help you... but if you can eliminate or
isolate and control that noise, you won't need a noise blanker...

Good luck & H N Y

Jack ,  K4IBP  .-.-.