[TowerTalk] 5/8 Wave Verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 5/8 Wave Verticals
From: ditzian@greenepa.net (Jan Ditzian)
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 00:23:00 -0500

Jim Reid wrote:

> On 160 (1.825mHz) the feed point Z is 10.5 - j237.  or a
> vswr of 112:1 to a 50 ohm line without base loading/
> tuning.  Still 55:1 to a 450 ohm balanced line.
>
> Has anyone ever tried feeding a vertical with balanced line
> and used a balanced tuner at the rig end of the line??
>
> 73,  Jim, KH7M

Jim,

I am doing that right now.  I just started last week.  I have a lot to do
before I would come to any conclusions, but it is heard and hears for a
few hundred miles pretty well.  The antenna is an inverted-L with two
elevated radials.  The open wire is 450-ohm, but the length is too long,
and the excess is lying on the ground and everywhere else.  I think that
there may be some loss there.  On the other hand, the loss may be why I
am able to tune it.  I will shorten it and see.

I am not using a balanced tuner.  I have an Amidon 4:1 10 KW balun
outside the house, and ten feet of coax to my Ten-Tec automatic antenna
coupler.  I run about a KW to it.

73,
Jan, KX2A