[TowerTalk] Interesting crank-up failure story

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Interesting crank-up failure story
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 11:35:58 EST
In a message dated 98-01-10 01:35:41 EST, jleikhim@nettally.com writes:

> Interesting;
>  If this is true, US Tower should be using larger pulleys on all towers.
>  3.5 inch pulleys are used at most points with 1/4 inch cable.
>
>  UpTheTower wrote:

>  >      About ten years ago I had an LM-470D motorized Tri-Ex tower which I
>  > bought used. In examining the hardware, I found the cable to be somewhat
>  > rusty and a couple of the pulley bearings were rough feeling. I replaced
> all
>  > the pulley bearings and also decided to replace the original 3/16" cable
>  > with 1/4" cable.

     I think that we're talking about apples and oranges here. The original
3/16 inch cable had adequate pulleys. The owner decided to change the cable
size to 1/4 inch which made the pulleys undersized for that cable.

     In ALL cases, my advice is to "do what the manufacturer says". In this
case, replacing a cable with another size was NOT recommended. If his cable
failure was due to having the cable run over under-sized pulleys, then I think
he shot himself in the foot. This is my interpretation of the situation and I
don't think the manufacturer would have suggested that he do this.

73,  Steve   K7LXC