[TowerTalk] SS Nuts and Bolts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SS Nuts and Bolts
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 10:21:44 EST
In a message dated 98-02-19 00:18:04 EST, kg5u@hal-pc.org writes:

<<
 What did I do wrong?  What could I have done to prevent this from
 happening?

MOVE AWAY FROM SOUTH TEXAS!

Seriously, if the U Bolt is stainless steel, when you tightened the nuts
originally, you probably overtightened them, causing the metal to gall. This
is very common with mild stainless steel. When you backed the nuts off, the
threads were distorted causing the failure.

If the U bolts were plated, the air around your QTH is so laden with salt and
particulate matter from the refineries, they probably deteriorated from toxic
pollution.

Just a theory from 33 years in Houston.

Tom, K5RC/7