[TowerTalk] cement inside pipes for elevated guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] cement inside pipes for elevated guys
From: stunroe@cbpu.com (stu)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 15:11:18 +0000
Last winter I saw a propane truck just barely touch a 5" pipe filled
with cement during some real cold wx & it snapped right off. When I
worked in factories they had these inside & some were run into with fork
lifts & bent over slightly but after seeing how the truck snapped that
one off I think the cement actually weakened rather than strengthened
the pipe in conditons where it is exposed to the elements. What the
farmers around here do to guy their grain elevators which have much more
windload than the average amateur tower is large size I beams with
several feet in concrete and 10-15' out, I have never seen or talked to
anyone who had this fail.

73 Steve KG8TX