[TowerTalk] Re: TopBand: Sources of radial wire

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: TopBand: Sources of radial wire
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 10:14:04 -0500
At 05:15 AM 3/20/98 -0600, T A RUSSELL wrote:
>"The next best source I'm aware of is electric fence wire, available at
>farm
>suppliers such as Tractor Service Co or Quality Farm and Fleet.  It costs
>about $25.00 for a half mile.  I've never used it. I think it's
>galvanized,
>so should stand burial OK.  Aluminum will not.  It will be attacked and
>destroyed by chemical reactions in the soil."  .....N9DX
>
>AU   CONTRAIR !
>
>I  once  used  galvanized electric fence wire for a radial field, held
>down
>with bobby pins.  In three years the wire was heavily rusted and in five
>years
>it was mostly gone.
>
>On The Other Hand, at a previous location, I used ALUMINUM  welding wire
>for radials for several years and they were still intact when I pulled
>them up
>to move to the country.  I too had been told that the local soil would
>attack
>the aluminum.  Obviously it survived quite well, as do my bare aluminum
>CATV lines in shallow open trenches to my distant towers.  ALUMINUM
>electric fence wire is now available at several farm supply outlets and
>even places like Home Depot.
>
>de  Tom  N4KG

How do you achieve good all-weather connections with the aluminum wire?
Clearly, there must be a way, since the electric fence folks do it, but
after all the stories about high-resistance connections in aluminum house
wiring I'm leery of what happens when the aluminum oxidizes.  I'm about to
string my first beverage, which, granted, will be above ground, but I have
plans as well for an extensive radial field under my tower when I get
around to shunt feeding it.

Thanks!
73,

Pete N4ZR

In Wild Wonderful, fairly rare WEST Virginia