[TowerTalk] Wind Zone Map

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wind Zone Map
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 14:34:20 -1000
At 06:28 PM 4/9/98 EDT, K7LXC wrote:

><< While nosing about the net I stumbled on a Wind Zone Map at Pirod's
> site.  The URL is: http://www.skyenet.net/pirod/wszmap.htm  >>
>
>     Pirod is a well-known commercial tower supplier. If you're interested
>they have an interesting parts catalog.
>
>    The map is from 1982 and is a reasonable representation of the wind
zones.
>It says that it complies with the EIA/TIA-222 Rev. E. The current 222
revision
>(F) has the windspeed broken down per county so it's more detailed.

Covers Alaska,  but not Hawaii,  which became a state in 1959.  Usual trades
this time of year carry gusts approaching 40 mph many days,  strongest
puff here on Kauai this morning,  per my Heath meter,  was 36 mph.
When the tropical storms come by,  and the occasional hurricane,
all bets are off,  as we found in the late summer of 1992,  just a week
or so after Florida found what Andrew could do.

Now have both TL160 and TL80 Gladiator "ground plane" verticals up.
Not bothered by the gusty trades so far.  Patiently waiting for the
breeze to die back some so I can get the 40 and 30 meter Gladiators
up.

73,  Jim,  KH7M