[TowerTalk] Oxidized R7-what to do?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Oxidized R7-what to do?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 11:23:11 EDT
In a message dated 98-04-19 09:52:24 EDT, harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu writes:

> Use sillycone to cover elect. joints and Coax seal over the coax
>  connectors.

      Actually I don't recommend either of these techniques. I think you are
referring to RTV when you say silicon. It outgasses a solvent during its cure
which may not be in the best interest of the electrical joint. It is not used
by professional installers or approved by the NEC. Better to use an
antioxidant on all electrical connections.

     CoaxSeal applied directly on a coax connector renders the connector
useless for further use - you can't get the damn stuff off. Rather to put some
Scotch electrical tape on the joint first and then the vaporwrap material
followed by 2 more wraps of tape. That's the way you get a bomb-proof joint.

Cheers,  Steve    K7LXC

    TOWER TECH -- professional towers supplies and services for amateurs