[TowerTalk] Monobander vs tribander

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Monobander vs tribander
From: harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole)
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 01:41:36 -0400 (EDT)
In case anyone still needs to be told, monobanders beat out tribanders.
I replaced a TH-7 with the HyGain Xmas Tree of Five Element monobander
beams -- one each for 10, 15, and 20, stacked on one mast.
Of course, I think I am heard better, but I know I can hear better.  The
monobanders are much quieter in atmospheric hash, especially.
At one point, I had the ten meter beam up above the TH-7 and could switch
between them quickly.  The monobander ALWAYS out-performed the tribander
and mono was much quieter while giving same or better rcved sig.
But, silly me, I put up the monobanders just before the last CQ SSB
contest, placing me out of the TS (tribander single wire) catagory.  I
coudda won TS, but will likely place low in catagory with the really big
boys.  Am I bragging or complaining?
PS:  On testing all my other antennas, beams, wires, verticals, etc.:
Except for the above note, no one antenna ALWAYS out-performs the others.
Not only are higher antennas better, but lots of antennas are better than
a few.....
Ham radio is great!  de K4VUD