[TowerTalk] New Discussion Topic: Dipole secrets

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] New Discussion Topic: Dipole secrets
From: broz@csn.net (John Brosnahan)
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 06:37:10 -0600 (MDT)
>(An Inverted V is really a half-Rhombic turned on its side, with the
>earth forming the other half. Somehow we started calling droopy
>dipoles Invereted V's.)

Au contraire:

An inverted V is a reasonable description of the antenna that is
based on a dipole.  Calling it a " half-Rhombic turned on its side"
is not only more clumsy to say it is also technically incorrect.
The rhombic has legs that are MULTIPLE 1/4 Wavelengths on
a side (when used in the resonant mode without a termination),
whereas the inverted V has only a SINGLE 1/4 wave on a side.
In the non-resonant mode the rhombic still has legs MUCH longer
that a 1/4 wavelength and requires terminations--something that is
never done with an inverted V.

73  John  W0UN