[TowerTalk] uses for RG-62AU

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] uses for RG-62AU
From: gehring@Alaska.NET (Steve Gehring / KL7DC)
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 23:17:09 -0800
Hi Dennis,

I've used it as approximately 200 ohm balanced line by paralleling two
equal length runs and soldering braids together at both ends of the line,
while feeding the 2 center conductors.  This way you can run balanced line
anywhere coaxial line can be run...

I used this RG-62 balanced configuration to feed a 75 mtr 1 wavelength loop
at 90 ft sloping to 40 ft with great success.  I had about 100 ft of two
RG-62 lines used in this balanced configuration running to a 4:1 current
balun near the shack.  From the balun, I ran under 10 ft of low loss 9913
style coax to my tuner.  The neat thing was that I didn't need the tuner on
most bands, and the match was usually great (under 2:1) somewhere in each
band, with the exception of 30 mtrs.  It was an awesome antenna!

By the way, I ran over a KW through this paralleled and balanced RG-62
antenna system without a problem for over 2 years in Mississippi WX at the
K5TYP military recreation station on Keesler AFB (in several contests never
the less).  I'm sure I pushing my luck with the legal limit power levels I
was running, hi hi.

Try using it as balanced feeders on hf, you'll probably be happy with it.
I was.

73 de Steve, KL7DC
Eagle River, AK