[TowerTalk] Re: Quads not as good as Yagis

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Quads not as good as Yagis
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sat, 02 May 1998 06:16:52 +0000
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date:          Fri, 01 May 1998 04:17:27 -0700

> > 6.) N6NB took a crank up tower on a trailer around to many quad and
> > yagi locations in his area, and compared the "gain" of quads and
> > yagis to a reference antenna on the trailer. At the same height, the
> > quads were never as good as similar length and spaced yagis.
>

> Is what you are saying is that a 20 meter quad on a 8 foot boom is not
> as good as a  20 meter beam on a 8 foot boom????  C'mon
> Tom W7WHY~

Hi Tom,

No, I'm only repeating what I read. When monoband large yagis were
tested against equivalent monoband quads, the yagis did better. The
measurements seemed to be well thought out, and fair, as I recall.

There's nothing wrong with having a favorite antenna, especially if
it makes us happy or if we are proud of it. Nonsense theory, on the
other hand,  is destructive to anyone trying to understand how
things work.

As I recall, the maximum gain advantage (of equal antennas with the
only difference being one has quad elements and the other one dipole
elements) is only ~one dB, and only then in the case of a single
element in free space. That tiny advantage becomes less over earth or
with more elements.

If I'm incorrect, let me know.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com