[TowerTalk] Cushcraft R7000 and MFJ-1796, MFJ-1798verticles

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft R7000 and MFJ-1796, MFJ-1798verticles
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 18:40:10 -1000
At 10:44 PM 5/3/98 -0500, Steve Weisbrod wrote:
>I have a R7000 about 8ft off the ground. Cushcraft say if you go higher than
>17ft it will not work as well. I worked 100 countries in one year starting
>at the bottom of the cycle! Mine is in a woods surrounded by trees and still
>worked well. I now have a 50ft tower with two Force12 ants on it and there
>is no comparison. I still use the R7000 on 30m and 40m. For what it is I
>would highly recommend it.

Yes,  but I suspect that the Force 12's do nothing on 30 and 40; they
are for higher bands.  If you want pretty good performance on
30 and 40,  go for 1/2 wave center fed dipoles as high as you can
get them.  And,  by the way,  35 feet or so is plenty high enough
to beat any of the verticals mentioned on 30 and 40.  Just
count the S9 signals you recieve on each.  Very few on the
verticals,  since they are NOT delivering very much energy
into the rcvr!  At least they did not in direct comparison here
on Kauai from the US mainland!

73,  Jim,  KH7M