[TowerTalk] Cushcraft R7000 and MFJ-1796, MFJ-1798verticles

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft R7000 and MFJ-1796, MFJ-1798verticles
From: ei6if@hotmail.com (Denis Collins)
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 22:36:18 PDT

>I have a R7000 about 8ft off the ground. Cushcraft say if you go higher
than
>17ft it will not work as well. I worked 100 countries in one year
starting
>at the bottom of the cycle! Mine is in a woods surrounded by trees and
still
>worked well. I now have a 50ft tower with two Force12 ants on it and
there
>is no comparison. I still use the R7000 on 30m and 40m. For what it is
>would highly recommend it.
>
>73 Steve W8GAZ

Hi Steve,

That Crushcraft sounds like an expensive dummy load to me!
I worked 100 countries in 3 weekends with 90 watts at the bottom of
the solar cycle with a vertical ant homebrewed mainly from the boom
of an old TV ant. After one year the country count was about 185.
 Based on observations with this and other verticals I believe
horizontal dipoles are more competitive on 20 meters and up.

cheers

Denis