[TowerTalk] A Stupid Idea??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] A Stupid Idea??
From: westover@horizon.sri.com (Doug Westover )
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 15:30:21 -0700
So here's the deal: I have the remnants of a 30+ year old Hy Tower, for all
practical purposes just the 24' tower section. I've taken it down, checked it
over and with the exception of a couple of nuts/bolts (which will be replaced)
it is rust free and in otherwise good condition.

What I would like to do is use it as a support for one of the new Force12
2 ele 17/2 ele 12 meter antennas with an 8' boom. I would mount a rotator
on the existing shelf and a thrust bearing on the top shelf of the Hy Tower
(Rohn BX), with the antenna on a mast extending perhaps 6' above the top
shelf for an overall height ~30'.

So the question is, Is this:

        a.) a stupid idea
        b.) doable but unwise
        c.) a great idea, go for it!

Thanks in advance for all the knowledgable suggestions I'm certain to receive!

Doug W6JD