[TowerTalk] Rust Stain on Rohn 45

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rust Stain on Rohn 45
From: STRutledge@aol.com (STRutledge)
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 08:05:57 EDT
Well, here goes my first submission to Towertalk.  Thanks in advance.  Here is
the question:

When I was in WV, I had a great mast but unfortunately it wasn't galvanized.
Some rust ran from the mast onto my tower and caused some unsightly stains on
a couple of the sections.  The sections themselves are not rusting, just
stained.  Does anyone know a way to get this off without damaging the
galvanizing on the sections?

Someone told me to use some steel wool and another friend said absolutely not
as it might damage the galvanizing.  This stuff is obviously on the surface
and doesn't appear to have invaded the finish, just stained it.

This MUST have come up somewhere in the past.  I would appreciate any
suggestions.

73, Steve, N4JQQ/C6AFP, now in Memphis!