[TowerTalk] Raising mast?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Raising mast?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 23:26:29 EDT
In a message dated 98-05-24 22:35:09 EDT, ka4inm@gte.net writes:

>  Gin poles are meant to be rented, from commercial people that
>  use them daily and have a yard full of them.  They come in ALL
>  sizes.  You will need it for ONE day.

     Interesting. I owned a commercial tower services company and have worked
on hundreds of sites and to the best of my knowledge, no 'for rent' ginpoles
are available in my region.

>(A liar would tell them it's for a church!)

     Not sure what you mean by that.

>    "Hose bands" are hose clamps that are made from flat stainless
>  steel strips that tighten with stainless steel screw devices,
>  (best) they are really called `aviation hose bands'.  If I said
>  `hose clamp' you might have thought I meant the 370 degree round
>  3/16" thick piece of spring steel.  The real name for these in
>  tower work is "round member adapter!"  Not a lot of people call
>  them that.  The catalogs do!

      QSL. While commercial installers use round member and angle adapters by
the hundreds, they're not used for the same purposes in the ham field. If you
go to any auto parts store and ask for a hose clamp, what you'll get is the
aforementioned hose band/hose clamp/round member adapter.

>    The chokers* are used by running one through the tower near the
>  top, dangling the two ends down on each side and setting the
>  `other' tower section's leg, each of two legs into the two choker
>  loops and use the hose bands to lash the center of the added
>  section to, near the top of the tower being erected.  Then you do
>  the same for the second section to be `lashed' the other face.  I
>  would wrap all three sections with several chokers, secured
>  together with shackles, but it is hard to get them as tight as the
>  `hose bands'.  I would use both!

     As I said before, you're describing something that is pretty
straightforward for a commercial rigger but largely unknown in ham circles.

     You obviously have commercial rigging experience. About 1% of the people
on TowerTalk do as well. But the vast majority of amateur tower owners should
not attempt this.

>    I don't get involved with other peoples labor relations
>  problems, I have troubles of my own.  In other words that is your
>  problem!

      I really don't know what you mean by this either.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC