[TowerTalk] Peripheral ground system

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Peripheral ground system
From: Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 12:01:08 -0400
In New England, we get a phenomenon called "frost heaves". It happens when
the ground freezes, melts, and refreezes in late winter. It causes the
ground to heave and buckle, often as much as a foot or more. This causes the
pavement to crack and the roads to become very bumpy. When the weather warms
up in the spring, the ground relaxes to roughly the shape it had the year
before (leaving a lot of broken pavement and potholes.) The heaving and
relaxing can put a lot of stress on buried wires and conduit, certainly
enough to cause breaks in even the most rugged copper wires, steel pipes or
PVC conduit. Also, the heaving process tends to make rocks "boil up" and
move around, potentially crushing or breaking wires and pipes.

Good builders around here always always bury service pipes at least four
feet down. Some will lay sheets of building insulation on top of the pipes
before refilling.  Concrete footings and piers are dug that deep as well. If
you don't sink the footings for a porch or the piers for a deck that deep,
the frost heaves will push them up, making the porch or deck buckle and
break.

Someone else suggested that ground wire needs to be below the frost line to
remain in contact with moist soil for less resistance to ground. I think
that's correct as well. I've even heard that, if possible, the wire should
be deep enough to contact the water table.

73, Dick, WC1M