[TowerTalk] Crankup towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crankup towers
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 23:26:12 -0700 (PDT)
>After reading the current thread on Crankup towers I have a question.
Currently I have a US Tower 72' crankup tower, would it make sense to guy
the tower and not have to worry about cranking it down when the wind kicks
up.  If this makes sense then the only time you would need to lower the
tower is when you need to service it.

>Ed    AA8PA

Hi Ed,

If your US Tower 72' crankup is intended to be freestanding, adding guys
does both good and bad things.  On the good side is the fact that guys will
make it much less susceptible to folding over in a wind.  On the bad side is
the fact that guys pull down a lot on the tower if they are tight and they
will be tight in a wind.  This puts a lot more stress on the the cable.
Will the cable take the additional stress?  Only a good engineer can tell
you that.

The best answer is simply to to not overload it.  If you ever expect 90 MPH
winds, you should find out from US Tower how much antenna it will take at
that wind speed and that is all you should put on it.  If it isn't enough,
you have the wrong tower . . .

Doing anything else is risky.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com