[TowerTalk] Crankup towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crankup towers
From: wa3gin@erols.com (David Jordan)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 21:22:49 -0400
Hi Folks,

I've heard that using stainless steel cable for crank-up towers is not
recommended. That
TRI-EX recommends against using stainless steel cable. Why would that
be? Is it because stainless steel is best suited for straight pull
stress rather than bends around pulleys and winches?

Also, I've heard that putting grease on steel cable is a mistake because
it tends to keep moisture locked in the cable and promotes rotting from
the inside. I've been told that using light weight oil is a better
solution to retard rusting. It allows the cable to breath, allowing
moisture to evaporate while slowing the oxidation process....TRUE or
FALSE?

thanks,
dave
WA3GIN