[TowerTalk] Guying crank up towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guying crank up towers
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 23:26:43 -0700 (PDT)
Dave Thomson said:

>Much has been said about not guying crank up towers.  I can't speak for the
>other brands of towers (some of which are gone or are going) but my Tristao
>can be guyed.  It is designed as a totally self supporting tower, but at the
>time Tristao made a series of guyed crank ups (TRi-Ex did too) and the
>design of the rope/pully system for my tower (same design was in the
>Towermaster and now US Tower design) allowed you to pin the bottom section
>with a steel pipe (actually crank the tower down slightly so the bar
>supports the tower not the pully ropes.)  The pully sections are dependent
>on each other so the tension on the rope becomes slack (not loose).
>Slipping 2 or 3 inches would tighten them back up.

Hi Dave,

I would like to hear you tell us that you install the steel pipes WITHOUT
climbing the tower, and then tell how you do it.  Tall bucket trucks are
expensive to rent and I suspect hardly anybody bothers with them to install
crankup stops.  They either leave the stops out or climb the tower to
install them . . . two really BAD ideas . . .

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com