[TowerTalk] Shucks!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Shucks!
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 10:15:15 EDT
In a message dated 98-06-29 03:57:50 EDT, no6x@inreach.com writes:

> The questions are:
>   1. Has anyone ever put a 4BA and a EF420/240 on the same tower, if so how
>  far apart do they need to be and would the system work ok with a EF180
>  between them(Maybe later)?

      Rusty, W6OAT, has the same setup and he loves it. Moderate size but big
signal.

      The factory recommends 9 feet spacing but Rusty has around 7 and it
still works.

>   2. I am sure the forces are gunna be tremendous on the mast so what would
>  I use for that? Would I have to buy the Chrome molybdenum mast for this?

       Tulare County is only a 70 MPH windspeed zone - the lowest they give -
so no big deal for wind speeds.

      According to the MARC Program (Mast, Antenna and Rotator Calculator), a
ten foot spacing gives 21,041 in./lbs. of bending moment. You'll need a mast
with  50k psi yield strength and 0.188" wall thickness. MARC is $9.95 + s/h
from Champion Radio Products (www.championradio.com or 888-833-3104).

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC