[TowerTalk] A Question about Mast Tubeing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] A Question about Mast Tubeing
From: hglent@ix.netcom.com (Paul Koretko)
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 11:03:05 -0600

--------------F2DBFD8003734801BB2C95D0

I am putting up a new M2 Rotor on a Rohn 25 tower to swing a Sommers
XP708 antenna.  I am using the Rohn bearing plate on top of the standard
25G section.  I intend on mounting the rotor at the bottom of the first
tower section down from the top.  I plan on running a 2" OD mast from
the rotor through the bearing and approximately 10 feet above the XP708
which I intend on placing on right above the bearing.  I will be placing
a Cushcraft AR270B at the very top of the mast above the beam.

Here is the question:  I have been trying to decide what kind of
material I should use for the 2"OD mast.  I have gotten prices for 4130
material 2"OD with a 1/8" wall thickness, and a carbon steel tubing 2"OD
with a 7/32" wall thickness.  The 4130 will cost about $7.95 per foot
and the Carbon Steel will cost about $6.50 per foot.

What is the strongest and best type of material of the 2 possibilities?
Are these prices about right for these products?

Thank for the advise.

Paul
WA0BAG

--------------F2DBFD8003734801BB2C95D0

<HTML>
<TT>I am putting up a new M2 Rotor on a Rohn 25 tower to swing a Sommers
XP708 antenna.&nbsp; I am using the Rohn bearing plate on top of the standard
25G section.&nbsp; I intend on mounting the rotor at the bottom of the
first tower section down from the top.&nbsp; I plan on running a 2" OD
mast from the rotor through the bearing and approximately 10 feet above
the XP708 which I intend on placing on right above the bearing.&nbsp; I
will be placing a Cushcraft AR270B at the very top of the mast above the
beam.</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>Here is the question:&nbsp; I have been trying to decide what kind
of material I should use for the 2"OD mast.&nbsp; I have gotten prices
for 4130 material 2"OD with a 1/8" wall thickness, and a carbon steel tubing
2"OD with a 7/32" wall thickness.&nbsp; The 4130 will cost about $7.95
per foot and the Carbon Steel will cost about $6.50 per foot.</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>What is the strongest and best type of material of the 2
possibilities?&nbsp;
Are these prices about right for these products?</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>Thank for the advise.</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>Paul</TT>
<BR><TT>WA0BAG</TT></HTML>

--------------F2DBFD8003734801BB2C95D0--