[TowerTalk] A Question about Mast Tubeing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] A Question about Mast Tubeing
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 09:22:49 EDT
In a message dated 7/1/98 10:08:18 PM Central Daylight Time,
gscholten@michamber.com writes:

> These mast are all good but you might consider using 1-1/2" Schedule 80
>  pipe.  It is quite a bit thicher than sch 40 pipe and uses a higher
>  grade of steel.  It works well for a lot of people and is less
>  expensive.  Another option is to find a soil testing company, their
>  drill rigs use 4350 semi stainless steel drill rods.  When the ends of
>  the rods get bad they have to throw them out but they make fantastic
>  mast pipe with incredable strength.  These drill rods come in many
>  diameters.

ARGHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Please don't dispense advice based on pragmatic experience. Schedule 40, 80,
whatever, pipe was designed to carry liquids and gasses, not to support
anything. You will not find structural data published on water pipe.

Using any other material based on "It looks heavy" or "It has incredible
strength" is equally foolhardy. I know, we have all "gotten away" with using
almost anything for mast material, but, when someone is starting from the
beginning, the best thing to do is use K7LXC's mast calculation program and
then purchase the appropriate material for the job. Water pipe is never
appropriate and aluminum is seldom strong enough, unless you are mounting one
antenna 6" above the top of the tower.

Tom, K5RC