[TowerTalk] LMR 400 VS 9913?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] LMR 400 VS 9913?
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 20:39:11 -0400
Hi Press,

> the voids in the braid. Thus either coax can suck oxygen, water, or what
> have you if the connector is sealed improperly. The hardline has only the
> voids or bubbles in the foam, making it less at risk, but poor sealing at
> the ends will still cause trouble through gas and vapor ingress.

I'm a little puzzled by the worry about oxygen and the dielectric.

I understand oxygen contaminates the surface of metals, forming lossy
layers of oxides (except with silver) that might increase loss a tiny bit
at HF and more as frequency is raised. Corrosion also increases loss
dramatically (even at HF) if one or both conductors in the transmission
line are braided.

I had no idea oxygen contaminates dielectrics, or that DRY dielectrics are
a major  loss mechanism in coaxial lines. Last time I looked at the
problem, the bulk of loss was in the conductors (at least at frequencies
below 200 MHz I am interested in).

Am I missing something?

73 Tom