[TowerTalk] Re: FAA Lighting Req'ts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: FAA Lighting Req'ts
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson Courtesy Account)
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 16:48:37 -0700

Pat,

I should have said "yes" -if- your tower is unshielded.  If there
are other obstructions surrounding your towers that are taller,
you're off the hook.

Rather than paste the whole thing in here, I'll give you the
specific URL to the requirements for registration.

http://www.fcc.gov/wtb/antenna/what.html

There are various profiles to calculate to determine if the FAA
is interested in your structure.  You are responsible to do the
calclations if you are within 20000 feet (6.1 kM or 3.8 mi)
regardless of which direction you are relative to their runways
(the way I read it anyhow).  Some of the height requirements are
much more stringent if you are in alignment with a runway.
Particularly if it is used for instrument approaches.  But the
bottom line is that they want you to do the calculations if you
are within 3.8 miles and report your findings to them.  When we
do a commercial license, we must state that we are either:

a)  Not within the 3.8 mile zone and not above 200 Ft agl

b)  We are within the zone and not above the notification
    requirements (we're certifying that we've done the
    calculation).

c)  We are within the zone or above 200 feet agl and have
    notified the FAA.

73, Eric  N7CL