[TowerTalk] Re: FAA Lighting Req'ts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: FAA Lighting Req'ts
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 22:42:30 EDT
In a message dated 7/17/98 6:30:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
n7cl@sparx.mmsi.com writes:

<< >have plans for, and IS ALREADY PIERCED by existing 65 foot
 >wooden antenna poles which we currently use.  If/When the new
 >airport plans are implemented, do we have to comply with the now
 >required lighting/registration, AT OUR EXPENSE?

Whoa, guys. There is a big difference between filing your construction permit
with the FAA and FCC and being required to obstruction mark your tower. I was
9000' from the runway of Ellington AFB, with 5 towers. They were marked as
hazards on the approach plate, but I was not required to obstruction mark them
(painting, lighting, etc). I was 1500' from Bellville Intergalactic Airport
and filed the appropriate forms and received permission to put a tower up to
172' (don't ask me how they figured that one out). In that case, the FAA told
me that was as high as I could go, with or without obstruction marking because
I was in the downwind leg approach.

Unless you are at the end of the DFW runway, filing the proper forms will be
your biggest headache, unless you go over the magic 199' HAAT. I also found
the regional FAA office to be very helpful.

Tom, K5RC