[TowerTalk] Which Quad?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Which Quad?
From: rthorne@arn.net (Richard Thorne)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 11:48:58 -0500
Saad:

I have the Lightning Bolt 2 element 5 band quad.  Its not currently in use but
will be in the near future.

All 5 driven elements are tied together at a supplied 2:1 balun.  With this
set up only one feed line is required.  The quad worked very well except on 10
meters.  It did not work on 10 meters because (my opinion only no scientific
back up) of two things.  First, I think it would have worked better on 10 if
it had a seperate feed line.  Second I don't think the spacing was correct.
K5ESW did some modeling and found that the spacing on 10 was a problem.

Other than that the antenna is well built and worked as advertised.

Saad Mahaini wrote:

> Hello Ya'll,
>
> I plan to put up a 4E tri or 5 bander quad on my new tower, and I will
> greatly appreciate hearing words of wisdom on these rascals.  It appears
> there are three companies offering them, and of course they all advertise
> their antennas as the best, strongest, etc.  I like to get feedback from
> users of these different ones, good or bad.  Finally, what is the best
> way to feed the different elements for best efficiency and no interaction,
> separate feeds, transformer, switch?
>
> Tnx es 73s, Saad KB6VIR/5 Dallas
>

> --

Richard Thorne - N5ZC (ex KA2DSY, N2BHP, WB5M)
Amarillo, TX
Home Page: http://users.arn.net/~rthorne