[TowerTalk] Re: 259B

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: 259B
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 12:47:35 -0400
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date: Saturday, July 18, 1998 9:41 AM
>
> Tom I notice everyone referring to version 2.01 and 2.02 but what about
the
> poor smuck like me who bought the 259b two weeks ago from a dealer and
got
> version 1.01 1997?

Does your unit say 259, as opposed to 259B? 259's were were available at
and prior to Dayton.

The 259B (despite misinformation published on this reflector) was not
rushed to Dayton at all. 259's were never marketed or represented as
anything but a plain old 259.

I have no idea what the policy is on 259's, since that is an older model. I
doubt they will replace 259's with 259B's. They certainly will replace any
259B with 259 software, if such a thing ever happened.

> I emailed Jim at MFJ and he sent back a reply indicating MFJ is
developing a
> policy over the next several weeks for upgrades and to email him back in
> about three weeks. This worries me. I still remember in the early 1980's
> buying a low power 300 watt MFJ tuner from a local dealer, having it (3)
> days, calling MFJ for help because it wouldn't tune 160 and MFJ sending
me a
> coil to mod the tuner and included a bill for approx. $25.

This is just my opinion, since I'm only an idependent contract
engineer.....

If the tuner was marketed as a 160 tuner, you should not have been charged.
I would have refused to pay for a mod to bring a product up to advertised
spec, and I bet they would have said OK without any fuss.

On the other hand if you buy a product with one specification and model
number, and the manufacturer   later drops that model and changes to an
upgraded model with new specifications, it hardly seems fair to expect a
free upgrade. (Drake never did sent me a free R4C to replace my brand new
R4B, even though I asked.)

The question still remains, did you buy a 259 or 259B?

73 Tom