[TowerTalk] what 45G top section?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] what 45G top section?
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 05:36:31 -0400 (EDT)
>Since my 45AG2 top section was damaged in shipping, and the vendor only has
>AG3 and AG4's in stock, I need some more advice.
>
>I called Rohn to confirm that the AG2 is the best fit for a 2" OD pipe.  The
>guy was amazingly unfamiliar with the 45G specs, then just read them back to
>me.  The only info he gave me that wasn't in the Rohn book is that both the
>AG2 and AG3 use the same #14 support pipe.

Right off, I don't agree with that statement.  I have a current Rohn book
and it says the 45AG2 has "2 STD. PIPE (2.38" O.D.)".  It also says the
45AG3 has "TS 2.25 O.D. (14 GA. WALL).  Those are definitely NOT the same.

  Since the AG2 is 2 3/8" OD and the
>AG3 is 2 1/4" OD, should I assume a 2" pipe WON'T fit and rotate inside an AG3
>section?

No, do not assume that.  I sell Rohn tower.  I stock the 45AG3 (not the
45AG2) and I stock the M200H (2" OD Rohn mast).  The M200H fits nicely
inside of the 45AG3.  I recommend that combination.

>The Rohn guy says to use only an AG2 or AG4.  Help?

Well, this Rohn dealer says you can use a 45AG3 if you want.  I really don't
know if a two inch mast will properly fit a 45AG2 . . .

>Also got some background info from the Tower vendor.  They say Rohn moved
>their 25, 45, and 55G production to their IN plant which used to only do BX
>towers.  The transition apparently did not go smoothly, and they lost lots of
>knowledgeable people in the move.

I have had quite a few problems dealing with Rohn since the move.  The
company has lots of rough edges right now and they are darn lucky they have
no serious competition . . .

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com