[TowerTalk] Need info on Sidemount for 45G

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Need info on Sidemount for 45G
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 10:37:32 EDT
From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu

On Sun, 9 Aug 1998 19:28:21 EDT W9zr@aol.com writes:

>I would like to sidemount a small beam on Rohn 45.   Can anyone give
>me some
>advice on how to proceed?  Is there a commercial unit available?
>
>73 Randy

                  The Sidemount Collection

                  by Fred Hopengarten K1VR

     I've been saving occasional remarks on sidemounts.  I
keep remarks on the TIC RingRotor in a separate file.  Ask
for that separately, if you'd like to see it.  I have a
Leesonized (ruggedized) Cushcraft 40-2CD on a TIC RingRotor,
and love it.  I also have a TH6DXX on a homebrew sidemount
which looks like a swinging gate (a phrase which I believe
that I originally coined in around 1986 when it first went
up).  The swinging gate and rotator was one-third the price
of the TIC RingRotor, but the local ham with the machine
shop who could thread the water pipe, and so forth, took
some care and feeding.

[From 1997, I think]

I have one RTS rotating tower and one with a TIC ring
rotator.  I'm satisfied with both.

Re the RTS setup, I would recommend using at least two ring
bearings (my setup has only one above the rotator, and it
would fall if one guy failed - however, it has survived 134
mi/h fastest mile winds).  I plan to switch to double guys
on the ring bearing.  If you order the RTS setup, you might
want to see if you can talk Dick into drilling drain holes
in the tower leg stubs in the base bearing, so the legs can
drain more easily than just hoping they will drain at the
circumference of the stubs.  Otherwise all first class.

As a practical matter, there is a good-news/bad-news element
of the rotating tower choice.  The antennas are always in
the same relative position to each other, so you don't get
odd effects of resonant booms or the like when antennas are
in different directions.  On the other hand, most contesters
find they benefit more from being able to "spray" in two
directions at once, and the rotating tower doesn't do this
readily.

If you go the RTS route, I would give serious consideration
to putting the rotator at the ground level, even though that
adds to the cost of the ring bearings.  This gives you
guying redundancy, so you can sleep at night.  There's no
question about the generous engineering margins on the ring
bearings, but they are really heavy to wrestle on the tower
and tough to climb around or stand in when working.  As a
last caution (don't laugh, it happens!), the ring bearings
are easy to bang your front teeth on if you aren't careful.
And they are SOLID STEEL, so guess what would give way.

The TIC rotator is not as conservative in it's engineering,
but mine has worked well.  I have two motors, and short them
for braking when not rotating.  The offset is a bit of an
additional wind problem, but the 50' boom hasn't been a
problem.  The ring rotator is also hard to climb around, so
outfit your belt with auxiliary Gorilla Hooks (I use
aircraft control cable, NICO clamps installed with proper
tool, and REI spring-release caribiners, one on each side of
the belt in the D-loops, in addition to the standard
halyard).

For the future, I'm giving more thought to fixed antennas
(that is, to orienting the towers at installation to get the
sides aimed in the right directions for EU, JA and US), as
well as simple side mounts without the extensions to get 120
degree rotation.  The problem to be solved for that setup is
a simple limit switch arrangement, but the bearings and
rotators are simpler and I just don't think the need is
there on side mount antennas for any more rotating range.
There is an N2TR side mount used at, for example, the W2SX/1
VHF setups that is simple and inexpensive.  It is
essentially two crossed aluminum or  galvanized steel
angles, bolted to adjacent sides of the tower, crossing at
the apex tower leg and continuing so as to mount a rotator
plate or mast bearing.  One angle is mounted with the
vertical face down, the other with the vertical face up,
they are bolted at the overlap.

You can sketch this to see how it would work.

Dave Leeson, W6NL  (ex-W6QHS)