[TowerTalk] 25G Rotator Plate.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 25G Rotator Plate.
From: grhosler@imation.com (Gary R. Hosler)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 08:48:09 -0500
I have modified a rotor mounting plate to carry an additional thrust
bearing just above the rotor.  I have a thrust bearing mounted at the top
of the tower that really carries the weight (vertical load) while the lower
plate/bearing reduces the side to side thrust and allows me to remove the
rotor for service.  Make up a cardboard template of the rotor plate and
trim the cardboard material until it will fit inside the tower (at the
position you wish to mount the plate).  The interference will come from the
side braces.  Once you have trimmed the cardboard template to fit, position
it on the rotor mounting plate and trace the new shape with a permanent
marker.  Using a sabre saw with a metal cutting blade (yes, wear safety
glasses), remove the required material.  Smooth the rough edges and paint
the rotor mounting plate with two coats of cold galvanize for weather
protection.  Keep in mind that with this modification the plate is
considerable less stout when it comes to vertical loads.  Again, I use mine
to stabilize the lower end of the mast (side load), and would NOT recommend
this modification if you are using it to support mast, antennas, and rotor
(unless you reinforce the underside of the plate with some channel steel).

GL de Gary  W0AW

KF8KW@aol.com on 08/09/98 07:40:34 PM