[TowerTalk] Small Tribander & Wind-Ice Strength

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Small Tribander & Wind-Ice Strength
From: nw9g@netusa1.net (W9SN)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 18:22:26 -0500
DavidC wrote:

> > Hygain Explorer 14.    Its only 14 feet in boom length and 31 foot
> longest
> > element with 17.5 foot turning radius.    I think its gang busters.    I
> top
> > lots of those you have listed and often the TH7!    It is narrow and has
> great
> > front to back.   Those I have recommended it to have said it was like
> putting
> > the beam up another 30 feet over their present beam when looking at the
> > results.    (It does especially well against the Wesibrod P51DX0)   I
> suggest
> > you take a hard look at it before you move on your beam.   Its truly a
> durable
> > antenna and a winner in wind storms too. 73 Mike K0BUD
>
> How does it handle ice?  Seems Force 12 does it through flexible elements,
> is the Hygain using brute strength like most?  Thanks & 73, DavidC  AA1FA

Another overlooked antenna is the Hygain TH5MkII.  I put it up a year
ago
and it built very good.  No element sag at all and it's gone through
80mph
winds here once and a few other times at 50mph.  No swr on any band to
speak
of and it's broke every pile up I tried.  good luck....

                                Steve Narducci
                        Amateur Radio Station -  W9SN
                          All Ten Tec Equiptment
                          Toys for "Real" CW Men