[TowerTalk] Projected area of Hy-Gain beams

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Projected area of Hy-Gain beams
From: Roger (Roger)
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 12:08:08 -0500
TowerTalkians:

In order to keep up-to-date with the most accurate method of determining
antenna wind surface area, we will be adding the following new
specifications to our antenna instruction manuals, catalog and web page
information:

Antenna          Projected Area* in sq. ft.
Model              (elements)  (boom)

TH11DX              18.0        4.1
LP-1009AA         17.1        4.5
TH7DX                11.5         4.1
TH5MK2              10.1         3.2
DB1217               10.0         2.4
Explorer-14           9.8         2.4
TH3Mk4                 6.9         2.4
TH3jr                      4.7         1.3
TH2Mk3                 4.7         1.0

205CA                  11.5         5.8
204BA                    9.3         4.3
203BA                    7.3         2.7
155CA                    6.2         4.3
153BA                    3.8          2.1
105CA                    4.1          4.1
103BA                    2.6          0.8
 66DX                     2.1          4.1

* Projected Area is the actual (flat) projected area of either the elements
or boom (highest value) without any shape factor included.  This area may
be used with EIA / TIA-222-D and later versions and with the UBC formulas
to determine tower and mast loading. On HF beams, the element area is
usually higher.  On VHF/UHF beams, the boom area is usually higher. When
stacking HF and VHF beams, use the element area of all beams at their
attachment points to determine loading at zero degrees to the boom axis.

Antennas not listed above will be analyzed and added in a few days.

73 Roger WB0DGF
Telex Communications, Inc.
http://www.hy-gain.com