[TowerTalk] Re: TORQUE ARMS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: TORQUE ARMS
From: steve@oakcom.com (Steve Maki)
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 08:49:12 -0700
T A RUSSELL wrote:

>         It has taken a long time, but I have finally come to
>         appreciate that a rigidly mounted base is not a
>         good thing, especially if side mounted antennas
>         are installed, adding greatly to the torsional load.

I'm not convinced that in the case of multiple large loads
up the side of a tower, that a pier pin base relieves the
tower of much twisting torque.  The reason for this is that
the side loads often tend to oscillate in opposite directions.

If they always moved in phase, then yes, the pier pin would
do some good.  Pier pins (the true single point style) are
designed mainly to equalize vertical forces, IMO, and are
highly recommended for that reason.

--
Steve K8LX