[TowerTalk] 2 El. 40 meter

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 2 El. 40 meter
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 14:51:46 EDT
In a message dated 98-08-23 13:59:11 EDT, no6x@inreach.com writes:

> OK the decision is getting nearer as what to do for antennas, as my TH7
>  stacks wont work. I have decided to go with a big tribander of some sort.

     Still puzzled why you couldn't get the TH7's to work.

>  however Now we come to the 2el. 40 meter beam.
>  ANyone have pro's and con's to the following antennas:
>
>  Cushcraft

      THE 2L 40M beam. Simple, reliable, good cost/performance ratio, NOT
linear loaded. 2:1 Bandwidth = 250 kHz with the 'Secret LXC' dimensions.

>  M2

      No experience with them at this time. Will be installing one of the 3L
versions in a couple of weeks. I assume they use a similar linear loading
scheme to the KLM that Mike Staal used years ago.

>  Force 12 (EF-240X)

     I've installed a bunch and talked to many owners. The consensus? They
work 'okay' but haven't talked to any owners who are overwhelmed with their
performance. You have to tune each element individually to get it to work
since the measurements aren't always repeatable. Doing that complicates the
time and effort involved. 2:1 bandwidth = 130 kHz.

>  KLM

      Mechanically and electrically fragile. I got rid of all my KLM's
(including the 4L) years ago and have never regretted it. I don't remember
what the bandwidth is.

73 and GL,  Steve  K7LXC

Champion Radio Products
www.championradio.com