[TowerTalk] Rohn guy anchors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn guy anchors
From: zettel@homer.libby.org (Steve Zettel)
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 10:36:30 -0600
>Thanks all for the quick replies to recent tower questions.
>Got my hands on a Rohn catalog and saw their detail on the guy anchor
>rods embeded in the nice rectangular concrete footing with rebar on 2
>faces. Does anyone actually put them in that way, and if so, how? It
>occurs to me one would have to dig out a pretty good sized hole (backhoe
>preferred), build a wooden form and pour the concrete, then backfill and
>compact.
>There has to be an easier way???
>Does anyone know what the ph of sandy soil is and it's effect on
>galvanized steel?
>73's all.
>Tom  K0SN

Hi, Tom

Yep, that's how I did it, Got lucky when the phone co was redoing
underground lines down the road in front of my place out in the country.
Asked the guy doing the backhoe work how much he got per hour and did he
want to pick up a little change, off the clock. He drove over on lunch
break and 45 minutes later I had three guy anchor holes and the tower base
hole. Seeing the size and number of stones to come out of the holes
(everything from baseball to bigger than basketball size), it was the best
money I ever spent -- $50 an hour!

Believe me, the fill goes back into the hole much quicker than it comes out
manually, even with the tamping.

The rebar came from the same company that delivered the concrete, they even
cut and bent it (I went there with a copy of the Rohn drawing), all I had
to do was tie it and place it in the holes.

I was tempted at times to cut corners or find an "easier" way, but in
retrospect the peace of mind I enjoy when the winds howl was very cheaply
purchased by doing it right the first time. As the man says, "Better,
faster, cheaper? Pick any two."

Good luck,

Steve  KJ7CH
near Libby, MT

PS I used to live near Marinette (on Shore Drive seven miles towards
Peshtigo) for about seven years. Rented in Porterfield area for a year.
Small world!)