[TowerTalk] Mismatch Loss and Tuners

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mismatch Loss and Tuners
From: realex@flash.net (bob alexander)
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 20:29:18 -0500
Charles R Constantine wrote:

> When a tuner is properly adjusted to give conjugate match  the tuner
> generates a new reflected wave having the same magnitude but of opposite
> phase of the reflected wave coming from the mis-matched antenna.  The
> waves are combined in the transmatch and a new wave of equal that is in
> phase with the current and voltage is added to the source wave.  This is
> re-reflection gain.
-------------
Chuck,
I find this statement rather interesting.  The last time I checked,
two signals of equal magnitude and opposite phase cancel. If you add
0 to the source wave the "reflection gain"  must be 0 since that is
what you are adding to the source.
Also, the only source for this new reflected wave generated in the tuner
would have to be the original source wave.  So, you combine the
source with the reflected wave and the result is a source wave that
is reduced in strength by the magnitude of the reflected wave.
Sound familiar?
73, Bob, W5AH